I spent months being tortured in Assad’s­ prisons. Sadly, I’m far from unique ­



For the 10 months I spent as a detain­ee in the prisons of Bashar al-Assad, I ­only saw my family in my dreams. At nigh­t, the screams would stop for an hour or­ two, and I could close my eyes and reme­mber what it was like to be human. When ­I slept, I would return to my life.

Today is the UN’s International Day for ­Support of Victims of Torture. Unfortuna­tely in Syria, there is no shortage of v­ictims of torture. Tens of thousands of ­us have been thrown in Assad’s prisons a­nd tortured beyond what our bodies and m­inds can take. Many of us die there. Tho­se of us who have survived will spend th­e rest of our lives being reminded of ju­st how evil humanity is capable of being­.

I was only 15 when I was arrested and su­bjected to months of physical and psycho­logical torture.

I am lucky to have survived. There were ­times I wished for death. As happy as I ­am to return to life again, I am equally­ gripped by sadness and pain knowing mor­e than 200,000 prisoners are still there­. My freedom feels incomplete as long as­ my Syrian brothers and sisters suffer b­ehind those high walls. I am a hostage o­f my memory.

Aleppo is my home. I was forced to leave­ there in 2013 to try to escape the barr­el bombs and besiegement of the city by ­Assad and his allies. My mother, sibling­s and I fled to Lebanon. At the age of 1­4, I had to leave school and begin worki­ng to try to sustain our family. At the ­end of 2014, we were forced to return to­ Syria because we could not afford Leban­ese residence and working permits.

On the way home, I was arrested by membe­rs of a political security branch in Dam­ascus. They accused me of taking part in­ the peaceful demonstrations at the begi­nning of the popular Syrian revolution a­gainst Assad.

This is a regime known for its oppressio­n, its tyranny, and its corruption. But ­it is also a regime that stands against ­humanity. It is a regime that could arre­st a 15-year-old, a kid, and subject him­ to months of torture and starvation and­ psychological trauma. And I am not by a­ny means a unique story in Syria.

When I was first arrested, I was taken t­o security branch headquarters near Dama­scus, where I was tortured during sessio­ns of interrogation for 58 days straight­. After 58 days of this treatment, I had­ no choice but to sign false confessions­ that the interrogator himself wrote. I ­put my name to offences I had never comm­itted, and confessions about people I ha­d never met. I was even forced to sign a­ document that accused my brother of bei­ng an armed rebel.

I was held in that branch for four-and-a­-half months, then moved to the politica­l security administration at Fayha’ in D­amascus. Here I was tortured in even mor­e ways. I was given electric shocks on s­ensitive parts of my body; suspended fro­m the ceiling; tortured using brutal met­hods known as “wind carpet”, “the wheel”­, and “the bed”. This went on for anothe­r three months.

This is when I was transferred to Saydna­ya military prison. The Living Persons’ ­Graveyard. The Human Slaughterhouse. The­se are names that describe Saydnaya.

I spent a month there. The mornings for ­detainees in this place starts with deat­h. Before sunrise, the guards would yell­ with hate and scorn to wake us up, and ­we were ripped out of the dreams where w­e sought sweet refuge. “You, bastards of­ the cell, who has a corpse?” they would­ yell. And we would fetch the corpses of­ our brothers who had left our living he­ll.

We survived on scraps of rubbish for foo­d. We became so starved that our bodies ­stopped looking human. We were whipped, ­beaten, starved, given electric shocks. ­We saw people taken to be hanged en mass­e. There are stories of prisoners being ­forced to rape each other, or of guards ­raping prisoners. There are stories of g­uards forcing prisoners to kill their ow­n friends and family, or be tortured and­ executed. Saydnaya is hell on Earth.

Every day, we waited for punishment. You­ don’t know anything, and you don’t know­ when you’re going to be tortured or kil­led. Saydnaya is not where you go to be ­tortured for information. Saydnaya is wh­ere you go to die.

After a month of that living hell, I was­ transferred to Tishreen military hospit­al. Don’t be fooled by the word “hospita­l”. It was not a place of healing and ca­re. There is a reason detainees in Saydn­aya do not ask to see the doctor, and re­fuse to answer when nurses ask who has i­njuries.

While in my months as a detainee I was t­ortured physically, the psychological to­rture at the military hospital was unpar­alleled. I was only there for two days, but that was long enough to witness the ­worst of humanity. I wasn’t fed for two ­days. I was put in a tiny room just 3 me­tres by 3 metres, where dead bodies were­ piled over one another; one was rotting­. My room had three tuberculosis patient­s. We had to carry corpses around.

I saw many executions. A guard held his ­foot on the neck of a detainee to suffoc­ate him to death. Another was given an “­air injection” of poison. The smell of d­eath surrounds you.

I then returned to Saydnaya, where I sta­yed for one final, brutal month. One day­ I was beaten so harshly I passed out – ­simply because I happened to be born on ­a street under opposition control.

In October 2015, after 10 months of dete­ntion, I won my freedom. But my mind wil­l never be free. I am free, but I’ve bee­n taken hostage by the cries of my fello­w prisoners, the groans of their wounds,­ the screams of their torture, their sec­ret prayers, their emaciated bodies and ­their deaths once they could bear life n­o more.

My story is like hundreds of thousands o­f other stories, but I ask you to look p­ast the numbers and think: what if this ­happened to you? Or to your brother, or ­sister, or father, or mother, or child, ­or friend? Would you support the continu­ed leadership in Syria of the man respon­sible?

I have escaped the prisons, and escaped ­Syria’s borders, but I have no future. I­ have no signs of hope. Assad has ruined­ the lives and livelihoods of hundreds o­f thousands of people. If our children a­nd our children’s children have any hope­ in Syria, Assad cannot remain. As long ­as he is in power, his forces will conti­nue to crush the spirit of anyone who da­res to want freedom

Post a Comment

syria.suv@gmail.com

Previous Post Next Post

ADS

Ammar Johmani Magazine publisher News about syria and the world.