
In a series of consecutive security operations announced by Syria’s Ministry of Interior in recent weeks, authorities said they arrested several former officers and officials accused of involvement in violations and crimes committed during the years of the former Assad regime.
The operations were distributed across several Syrian governorates and included former military and security figures who held senior posts, as part of what the ministry describes as efforts to pursue wanted individuals and refer them to the competent judiciary.
Senior Commander
Syria’s Ministry of Interior announced on Saturday, May 23, the arrest of former Maj. Gen. Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf.
Nayouf is a former major general in the Syrian army who held several military posts during the former regime’s rule, including service in the Third Corps, command of the 18th Tank Division, and the post of chief of staff of the 11th Division in 2020.
He also commanded Brigade 105, Republican Guard, in 2016, one of the military formations linked to Syria’s Republican Guard.

Former Maj. Gen. Mohammed Mohsen Nayouf, a former officer under the former regime, commander of the 18th Tank Division and commander of Brigade 105 in the Republican Guard, May 23, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Saydnaya Jailer
On May 22, the operations included the arrest of Mohammad Imad Mahrez, a former sergeant in the Military Police. The ministry said he worked as a guard and jailer at Saydnaya Military Prison starting in 2015 during the former regime’s rule.

Mohammad Imad Mahrez, a jailer at Saydnaya Military Prison under the former regime, May 22, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Deputy Chief Of Staff And Chief Of Staff Of The 22nd Division
On May 15, Syrian Interior Minister Anas Khattab announced on X the arrest of Maj. Gen. Wasel al-Owaid, former deputy chief of staff, and Maj. Gen. Pilot Ibrahim Mahla, former chief of staff of the 22nd Division in the Air Force, describing them as among the “symbols” of the former regime.

Maj. Gen. Wasel al-Owaid, former deputy chief of staff under the former regime, May 15, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)

Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Mahla, former chief of staff of the 22nd Division in the Air Force, May 15, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Head Of Raid Department In Security Branches
On the same day, the Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Omar Ahmad al-Matar, a former officer with the rank of captain. The ministry said he served as head of the raid department in the State Security and al-Khatib branches in Homs (central Syria), within the security agencies affiliated with the former regime.

Officer Omar Ahmad al-Matar, head of the raid department in the State Security Branch and al-Khatib Branch in Homs, May 15, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Chief Of Staff Of The Air Force
The Counterterrorism Department announced on May 12 the arrest of Maj. Gen. Pilot Staff Officer Jayez Hamoud al-Mousa, who served as chief of staff of the Air Force during the former regime’s rule, in a security operation it described as “precise.”

Pilot Jayez Hamoud al-Mousa, former chief of staff of the Air Force under the former regime, May 12, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Military Affairs At The Presidential Palace
On May 9, the operations targeted Maj. Gen. Wajih Ali al-Abdullah, who previously served as director of the Military Affairs Office at the Presidential Palace between 2005 and 2018, during the former regime’s rule.
The ministry said the operation was carried out in cooperation between Interior Security Forces units and the Counterterrorism Department, noting that the detainee is accused of participating in the coordination of practices and violations against civilians during the years of conflict.

Maj. Gen. Wajih Ali al-Abdullah, former director of the Military Affairs Office under the former regime, May 9, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Republican Guard Commander
On May 8, the Counterterrorism Department announced the arrest of Brig. Gen. Suhail Fajr Hassan. It said he held several military posts during the former regime’s rule, including command positions in the Republican Guard and the 15th Division, and accused him of participating in military and repressive operations in several Syrian governorates.

Suhail Fajr Hassan, brigadier general of the 11th Division in al-Sanamayn, May 8, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Former Head Of Air Force Intelligence In Daraa
On May 8, the Interior Security Forces announced the arrest of Brig. Gen. Staff Officer Khardal Ahmad Dioub, former head of the Air Force Intelligence Branch in Daraa (southern Syria). The ministry said he is accused of involvement in violations against civilians, including participating in coordination for chemical attacks on Eastern Ghouta (Rural Damascus, southern Syria), as well as managing assassination operations and coordinating with entities linked to Iran and Hezbollah, according to the ministry’s statement.

Brig. Gen. Khardal Ahmad Dioub, former head of the Air Force Intelligence Branch in Daraa city, May 8, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
Official Responsible For Chemical Attack
On April 29, Syrian Interior Minister Anas Khattab announced on X the arrest of Maj. Gen. Adnan Abboud Hilweh. Hilweh is considered one of the most prominent officers accused of responsibility for the 2013 chemical attack on Eastern Ghouta.

Maj. Gen. Adnan Abboud Hilweh, accused of responsibility for the chemical massacre in Eastern Ghouta, April 29, 2026. (Syrian Ministry of Interior)
The Ministry of Interior had arrested Amjad Youssef, the main suspect in the al-Tadamon neighborhood massacre in Damascus, during a security operation carried out in the Hama countryside (central Syria) on April 24.
Youssef is known as one of the perpetrators of the 2013 al-Tadamon neighborhood massacre in Damascus. He appeared in a video recording of part of the massacre carrying out the field execution of 41 people and burying them in a mass grave.
He is also accused of carrying out about 12 other mass killing operations.
The Ministry of Interior had announced the arrest of officials responsible for the al-Tadamon massacre on February 17, 2025.
The post Arrests Target Senior Assad Regime Figures appeared first on Enab Baladi.