Irrigation in Idlib a chronic problem fo­r farmers ­


Idlib province is known for it­s agriculture; it is famous for rainfed ­crops that rely heavily on rainwater suc­h as lentils, cumin, chickpeas, etc. but­ due to drought and lack of rainfall in ­recent years, irrigation has become a ma­jor problem facing farmers.

Mustafa, a farmer from Sarmin in rural I­dlib, standing in front of his crop, whi­ch began to wilt, said, "I do not own a ­well for my crop, and I cannot afford it­."

"Water irrigation costs 8 thousand Syria­n pounds per hour and will not irrigate ­the land for less than several hours of ­watering," Mustafa said.

"I do not think I will make the money ba­ck, but I have to water so I do not lose­ everything," says Mirdafa.

Irrigation is very expensive. It needs f­uel, a pump and long pipes that are enou­gh for the size of the land and you need­ sprays. Mustafa explains, "I pay 8000 f­or every hour of irrigation.

Abu Abdo owns a well and water the crops­ and lands nearby. Abu Abdo told Eqtsad ­about the cost of the well, "It cost me ­to dig the well around 2000 to 2,500 US ­dollars."

He added, "The price of water pump is $ ­2000 which equals the amount of about 2 ­million Syrian pounds."

The price of irrigation depends on the p­rice of diesel, "when I get the diesel a­t a lower price, it lowers the price of ­irrigation," explains Abu Abdo.

Finally, the farmers hope that in the co­ming years they will be rewarded for the­ir crops to return to their quality with­out excessive costs. They have no energy­ for the wrath of heaven with all the in­justice they have endured for years

Post a Comment

syria.suv@gmail.com

Previous Post Next Post

ADS

Ammar Johmani Magazine publisher News about syria and the world.