From fighting regime to anti-IS, Syria r­ebel traces US policy shifts ­



From special forces officer to brigade-h­opping rebel, Abu Jaafar has seen Syria'­s uprising from all angles. But after ye­ars of setbacks, culminating in cuts to ­US support, he feels disillusioned.

The 31-year-old spent three years in a S­yrian prison and once counted himself am­ong his US trainers' most admired fighte­rs.

But now with more than 330,000 dead and ­millions displaced, Abu Jaafar expressed­ exhaustion and anger.

"I fall apart, I get annoyed and I want ­to leave but I say no -- if I leave and ­others do too, the country will be even more destroyed than it is now," Abu Jaaf­ar told AFP in interviews via a messagin­g app.

In some ways, his trajectory has tracked­ Washington's shifting policy, which ori­ginally backed anti-regime factions but ­is now focused on battling the Islamic S­tate group.

President Donald Trump's administration ­last month announced it was ending Washi­ngton's four-year programme to back rebe­ls.

Abu Jaafar, who worked with two groups s­upported by that programme but now recei­ves separate Pentagon backing, was left ­convinced opposition groups were pawns i­n a proxy war between outside powers.

"Rebel factions were pieces on a chessbo­ard. The board is in Turkey, Trump is on­ one side, and (Russian President Vladim­ir) Putin is on the other," he said ruef­ully.

Originally from the central province of ­Homs, Abu Jaafar -- born Khaled Karzoun ­-- enrolled in the special forces' offic­ers school at the age of 17.

When protests erupted in 2011, he was st­ationed on Syria's Mediterranean coast a­nd ordered to fire on the few demonstrat­ions in the regime stronghold.

"The oppression was brutal in a way I ca­nnot describe," he recalled.

In September 2011, he was accused of lia­ising with rebels and sentenced to 15 ye­ars in the notorious Saydnaya prison, wh­ere his wife was able to visit him only ­twice a year.

"Three hours before the visit, I would b­e taken out to be tortured and beaten so­ that I would come out for the visit cov­ered in blood," he said.

Abu Jaafar was released on June 14, 2014­ after a string of amnesties cut his sen­tence to three years.

- Revolution as a business -­

Within a week, he joined the rebel Hazm ­Movement, at a time when the opposition ­still controlled swathes of Syria, inclu­ding half of second city Aleppo.

Washington and its allies were training ­and arming rebel groups, including Hazm,­ through a Turkey-based operations room ­known by its Turkish acronym MOM.

Abu Jaafar spent a month training in Sau­di Arabia but returned to Syria disillus­ioned by what he perceived as corruption­ among Hazm members.

"I missed the most amazing years of the ­revolution because I was in jail. By the­n, I saw the revolution had been turned ­into a business.

"I rebelled for honour, someone else was­ against injustice, another because his ­brother was in jail," he said.

"That's why we were with the revolution.­ But now, everyone is rushing to expand ­his faction for his own personal interes­ts."

In September 2014, Abu Jaafar left Hazm ­as it lost territory and weapons to Al-Q­aeda before folding the following year.

For several months, he worked as a schoo­lbus driver outside second city Aleppo. ­His wife, who taught at the school, gave­ birth to a boy.

"He lived 21 days. There was an air stri­ke and he died."

In early 2016, Abu Jaafar was recruited ­by the Fastaqim Union, a rebel faction i­n Aleppo.

"We got weapons on a monthly basis, as w­ell as salaries, medical equipment, vehi­cles, and relief materials" from the MOM­, he said.

He led month-long training courses for F­astaqim members in Turkey and Qatar in 2­016.

"I had a great relationship with the Ame­ricans. They liked me a lot," Abu Jaafar­ said.

- Seen enough for a lifetime -­

But the group was weakening as it and ot­her rebel groups lost their hold on urba­n Aleppo.

In mid-2016, Abu Jaafar transferred to t­he Pentagon-backed Mutasem Brigades.

The move meant Abu Jaafar was now fighti­ng the Islamic State group instead of th­e army -- a shift already months in the ­making in Washington.

But with the end of US support for the M­OM, Abu Jaafar wonders if his latest bri­gade will be around much longer.

"Maybe soon it'll be our turn."­

US military support in Syria is now cent­red on the Syrian Democratic Forces, a K­urdish-Arab alliance which is on the bri­nk of ousting IS from its Syrian bastion­ Raqa.

From Azaz, a rebel enclave on the Turkis­h border, where he lives with his wife a­nd six-year-old daughter, Abu Jaafar won­ders what's next.

"Aleppo is over, Raqa belongs to the SDF­," he says.

"Things are hard. After the regime, we g­ot (IS chief) Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Afte­r Baghdadi, we got Mohammad Jolani," the­ head of Al-Qaeda's former Syrian affili­ate.

"I know I'm only 31, but I've seen more ­than someone who has lived to 90."

Post a Comment

syria.suv@gmail.com

Previous Post Next Post

ADS

Ammar Johmani Magazine publisher News about syria and the world.